What are Healthy Start food vouchers?
Healthy Start food vouchers help families buy healthy food. If you are eligible, you will be sent vouchers to use towards your weekly shop. You can spend your vouchers on fruit and veg, milk, and infant formula milk.
If you are pregnant, you can get one £3.10 voucher per week.
If your child is under one, you can get two £3.10 vouchers (£6.20) per week.
If your child is 1-4 years old, you can get one £3.10 voucher per week.
How can I spend my vouchers?
You can spend your vouchers on:
- plain cow’s milk (whole, semi-skimmed or skimmed)
- fresh or frozen fruit and veg (whole or chopped, packaged or loose - with no added ingredients)
- infant formula milk.
You can use Healthy Start vouchers in some supermarkets, market stalls, pharmacies, and corner shops. Look for the 'Healthy Start' sticker in shop windows.
Find out more about what you can buy.
Do I qualify?
You can get Healthy Start vouchers if you’re at least 10 weeks pregnant or have a child under four years old. Your family must also get one of the following:
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit with a family income of £16,190 or less per year
- Universal Credit with no earned income or total earned income of £408 or less per month for the family. (To find this, look at your Universal Credit award notice in the section “your take home pay for this month”.)
If you are under 18 and pregnant, you can get Healthy Start vouchers even if you don’t get any of the above benefits.
Not sure if you qualify? Answer a few questions on the Healthy Start website.
How to apply
You can apply online.
Note: If you are using a paper form, you do not need to have a signature from a health professional. Leave this section of the form blank.
Find out more
Visit the Healthy Start website, or call 0345 607 6823.