What is FRED?
FRED is a FREE 4 week home-based activity for dads and male care givers. It is designed to encourage reading and is a great way to spend time and have fun with your child.
Why is reading important for my child?
Your child will:
- Hear and learn new words
- Learn about the world around them
- Use their imagination
- Be better at reading and do better in school
- Love having fun and spending time with you
Reading together is a great way to spend time with your child
Top tips for reading together
- Find a quiet space and get comfortable.
- If your baby or child wants to turn the pages don’t worry about reading it in order.
- If there is a book they really like, why not read it again and again and again!
- Sign up to the FRED challenge.
“The FRED programme allowed me to have more quality time with my boy, improve our bonding a lot and develop his interest in reading. Now he loves looking at new books and playing with toys and I’m so proud of that. ”
“Before hearing about FRED I didn’t read to my son. It has really helped me develop a great connection with him, because of the time we spend reading together. To be honest if it wasn’t for FRED he wouldn’t have developed as much. FRED has really helped him and the entire family.”
“Yes because not all dad’s read to their children, and through FRED this may encourage more dad’s to have this time with their children and learn new ways to do it. It really built a strong bond with my child.”
Did you know...
...research shows that children with involved dads and male caregivers:
- Have higher self-esteem
- Build better relationships with other children
- Have better behaviour
- Grow into happier and more successful adults
FRED will support your child’s schooling too.
More reading ideas and services
Keep up to date
Sign up to receive the latest updates