What are Healthy Start vouchers?
Healthy Start food vouchers help families buy healthy food.
If you are eligible, you will be sent vouchers to use towards your weekly shop. You can spend your vouchers on fruit and veg, milk, and infant formula milk.
How much are the vouchers worth?
- If you are pregnant, you can get one £4.25 voucher per week.
- If your child is under one, you can get two £4.25 vouchers (£8.50) per week.
- If your child is 1-4 years old, you can get one £4.25 voucher per week.
How can I spend my vouchers?
You can spend your vouchers on:
- plain cow’s milk (whole, semi-skimmed or skimmed)
- fresh or frozen fruit and veg (whole or chopped, packaged or loose - with no added ingredients)
- fresh, dried, and tinned beans and pulses
- infant formula milk
You can use Healthy Start vouchers in some supermarkets, market stalls, pharmacies, and corner shops. Look for the 'Healthy Start' sticker in shop windows.
Do I qualify?
You can get Healthy Start vouchers if you:
- are at least 10 weeks pregnant or
- have a child under four years old.
Your family must also get at least one of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit with a family income of £16,190 or less per year
- Pension Credit
- Universal Credit with no earned income or total earned income of £408 or less per month for the family. (To find this, look at your Universal Credit award notice in the section “your take home pay for this month”.)
If you are under 18 and pregnant, you can get Healthy Start vouchers even if you don’t get any of the above benefits.
How do I apply?
You can apply for Healthy Start vouchers online.
You do not need a signature from a health professional on your application.
Keep up to date
Sign up to receive the latest updates